Juneteenth

     Every year since it became a Federal holiday in 2021, I've heard people wondering what is Juneteenth? Why are people getting off work for it? I admit I didn't know either in 2021, so I read about it, something I do in every situation and recommend you do, too. So anyway, I figured this year i'd publish a post on my blog instead of trying to educate people a little bit individually. That's the beauty of having this particular platform to shout from.
     The Emancipation Proclamation took effect on January 1st, 1863. Most people know that this was supposed to grant freedom to all enslaved African Americans. However, certain areas were still controlled by the Confederacy and the Emancipation Proclamation couldn't be enforced.
     The last of the enslaved African Americans were in the western most Confederate state of texas, in a town called Galveston Bay. On June 19th, 1865, more than two years after the slaves should've been freed, the Union Army showed up and freed more than 250,000 slaves. The day became known as Juneteenth and was as unofficial holiday, until 1980 whrn it became a state holiday in texas. In 2021, Joe Biden made it a Federal holiday.
     
     June 19th is the day before another day of historical significance, West Virginia day!

Governor Justice has recently declared Juneteenth 2024 will be a West Virginia state holiday.
Sources
-The Historical legacy of Juneteenth, nmaahc.si. edu
-E. Nix, June 12th, 2023, what is Juneteenth?, history.com
-the Emancipation Proclamation, archives.gov


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Alum Creek, WV/ Forks of Coal ghost story 👻 🪦

"devil's tea tables"

I debunked my first story.